Welcome

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you find your visit here inspirational and helpful.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Before you go, I'd love you to leave a comment. They are -

v the icing on my cake!

v the bling on my card!

v the "Diet" in my "Coke"!

Martha

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Remember ~ Pals Memorial Day challenge

Today I'm the featured artist at Pals Paper Arts! I love this week's challenge; Memorial Day! Hope you can play along!!

Memorial Day Garland

Memorial Day is often the day signaling the beginning of summer with barbecues, picnics, and the opening of pools. May we never forget or water down the true meaning of Memorial Day ~ remembering those military men and women who died for the freedom we enjoy today in the United States.

To live in the past is unhealthy but, to forget the past is downright dangerous.
This Memorial Day find some way to show your remembrance of the lives lost for freedom's sake. Help your family "remember" why we are able to enjoy freedom today.




The garland was created using 5 pieces of Night of Navy Textured card stock cut at 5 1/4" x 9 1/2" and scored at 4 1/2" and 9" along the long side. The 1/2" strips are where you attach each section together (I do this last).

The color scheme I used was Night of Navy, Sahara Sand, Bravo Burgundy, Brushed Silver, and Very Vanilla. The lettering was created using the Serif Essentials Alphabet and the Big Shot. It is expensive, ($150 for the whole alphabet) but, well worth it. Plus you will receive hostess benefits! Excuse me, I'm getting side tracked.

The photographs are of my husband's grandfather who was a career military man. The Army was his life. Though I can't imagine making the military my life, I am so thankful there are others who answer that calling!

I kept the design very traditional with stars and stripes decorating each panel. I used MDS and the new Rough Type alphabet you can download to print out the phrases and then punched them out with the Modern Label punch.

I hope you enjoyed today's project. Make sure to stop by Pals Paper Arts for more Memorial Day projects. And, this Memorial Day take a few moments during the picnics and parties and "remember".

God Bless,



Recipe:
Paper: Night of Navy, Bravo Burgundy Textured card stock, Sahara Sand & Very Vanilla card stock, Brushed Silver card stock.
Misc: Serif Essentials Alphabet Dies, Big Shot, MDS, Rough Type Alphabet Digital Download, Small Star punch, Large Star punch, Modern Label punch, 1/4" Grosgrain ribbon in Very Vanilla, Bravo Burgundy, and Night of Navy

10 comments:

Ann Schach said...

Martha...how touching! What a wonderful way to remember your husband's grandfather! Beautiful!

Carla said...

Martha, your tribute is outstanding!!! I see the love you put into it. Hugs,

Kim said...

Martha this is awesome! What a piece of memorobilia

Marisa said...

This is fabulous!!!

Linda H said...

This is just WONDERFUL! It brings tears to My eyes. Anyone who has Military People in their Family would agree!

Anonymous said...

I love your project! You've inspired me to take the challenge. Great color combination.

Margaret Moody said...

This is wonderful, Martha! What a great tribute to your husband's grandfather and such a wonderful keepsake, too!

Patti MacLeith said...

SO classy and a fantastic family keepsake! I love it, Martha!

Regina Mangum said...

Hi Martha. What a wonderful tribute. This is simply beautiful. XO

Linda Callahan said...

Wonderful post and beautiful project!