Welcome

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you find your visit here inspirational and helpful.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Before you go, I'd love you to leave a comment. They are -

v the icing on my cake!

v the bling on my card!

v the "Diet" in my "Coke"!

Martha

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Virtual Kids' Crafts: My Treasures! Box


I remember as a child having a box I filled with "treasures". They may have been marbles, rocks, treasures from the gumball machine; just about anything. But, there was nothing more fun than removing each treasure to look at it over and over again.
Today you're going to create your own treasure box. You can use what you have around the house or you can purchase supplies from me and complete one like my daughter, Michele's.


1 sheet Old Olive card stock - cut at 4 1/4" by 12"
1 sheet Tall Tales DSP cut at 4 1/4" by 12"
TIP: All Designer Series Paper from Stampin'Up! has coordinating card stock which are listed in the catalog. To save money, I used Old Olive card stock which coordinates with Tall Tales.
Determine where the metal clasp will fall on the DSP. Punch out a 1/2 circle using the 1 1/4" Circle punch.
Tip: All Stampin'Up! punches have a halfway mark on the sides making it easy to punch an exact half.
Apply the Old Olive card stock first followed by the Tall Tales DSP which will overlap slightly. Make sure you line up the notch on the paper with the clasp on the tin. I "cheated" on my adhesive. I have a Xyron machine which puts adhesive on the entire piece. It sticks permanently but once it touches a surface don't expect it to come off with tearing! Sticky Strip would work fine. Use small pieces around the edges.
Apply Sticky Strip around the edge of the lid. DON'T remove the red covering!
Apply 1/4" Grossgrain ribbon. I used Chocolate Chip.
TIP: Don't pull all the red tape covering the Sticky Tape off at one time. Do it in sections. Press the ribbon down and repeat. As you can see, my 8 year old easilly did this on her own using this method.
Attach embellishments over both ribbon edges. We used buttons from Fresh Favorites 1 and attached them with Glue Dots.
Cut out animals from the Tall Tales DSP. Attach them with SNAIL. Our Paper Snips are the best scissors you'll ever cut with!
TIP: I keep my SU Paper Snips just for cutting paper and I have another pair of scissors just for ribbon. Keep them seperate, keeps them sharp!

The lid will be completed with a piece of Old Olive card stock and letters from the Big Shot billboard Letters spelling out, KEEP OUT. Of course she has brothers!

Now it's your turn. Have fun today making your own "Treasure Box". I'd love to see what you make! Take a picture and send it to me.

Remember if you would like the supplies to make this project you can purchase them here.
My Treasures Kit: Includes Provo Rectangular Tin Box tote, 2 sheets of Tall Tales DSP (available after July 1), 1 sheet of 12x12 Old Olive card stock, 1/4" grossgrain ribbon in Old Olive or Chocolate Chip, buttons, Big Shot Billboard letters for lid, lid template, and instructions. Cost: $20.00


God Bless,

8 comments:

Kim said...

Cute project! Tall Tales makes an adorable treasure box

Carla said...

Martha, how cute! I'm making a treasure box for my granddaughter... she'll love it. I love your blog too. Gorgeous.

Melissa said...

So cute! My boys would love this!

Kris Kilcoyne said...

Really cute! My son would adore this box. He's always finding little treasures and leaving them around the house.

I like the idea of making a home for all of his discoveries.

Ann Schach said...

So cute! How do you come up with these neat ideas? I love it!

Patti MacLeith said...

What a great idea and I love your daughter's participation in your tutorial! Lovely!

Anonymous said...

This is a fun looking project. Very creative for the kids.

Anonymous said...

OMGoodness, soooo cute. Love your choice of paper, too. Perfect!